Safety needs of the City’s population are being addressed by the Department of Interior and Local Government through its instrumentalities – the Philippine National Police, Bureau of Jail Management and Penology and Bureau of Fire and Protection. These organizations are supplemented by civilian public safety personnel and those of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.
The City Police Stations are situated at the old Municipal library and at the market site in Barangay Bagumbayan, which are the Main and Sub-station offices, respectively. The Ligao Police is supported in the Upland Unit by the 502nd Albay Provincial Police Mobile Group stationed in Barangay Paulog. Armed Forces Personnel are, meanwhile, stationed in Barangays Tula-tula (65th Infantry Battalion, 9ID) and Bonga (Bravo Coy, 22nd Infantry (Cadre) Battalion).
Protective services in the city’s coastal areas are augmented by the Bantay Dagat.
The present complement of protective personnel is grossly insufficient when compared to required standards. Ligao City currently has 45 policemen, 14 firemen and 14 jail guards. In order to reach the minimum standard of 1: 1,000 policeman to population ratio, 1: 2,000 fireman to population ratio and 1: 5 jail guard to inmate ratio, it is estimated that Ligao will need additional 229 policemen and 54 firemen as well as 14 police outposts by 2018. Citizen participation should also be further harnessed to enhance the City’s protective services system.
Goal and Objectives
- To increase the number of police and fire personnel commensurate to the minimum police-population ratio ; and
- To provide continuous access to knowledge and skills enhancement to members of the protective services including that at the barangay level.
- To further lower the incidence of crime;
- To prevent crime and fire occurrences; and
- To conduct regular seminars and lectures to barangay officials and residents on matters pertaining to cooperation and safety needs.
- Increase manpower in the Protective Services Sector and provide them with proper training;
- Construct new and upgrade existing facilities ; and.
- Secure the support of BLGUs in for the provision of safety services.