Following the recent awards of Ligao City as 1st Place Green Achievers Award during the 6th Salud Bikolnon by the Department of Health,
this time, the City of Ligao, through the efforts of Mayor Patricia Gonzalez-Alsua and DepEd-Ligao, made another history by being hailed as the MOST OUTSTANDING LGU in the Kadunong LGU with Best Practices in Education category during the 2015 Gawad Albay sa Edukasyon Awards on December 17, 2015 at the Albay Astrodome, Legazpi City.
Gawad Albay sa Edukasyon is an award system developed way back in 2009 in recognition for the inspiring and worthy Albayanos, particulary the principals, teachers, students, and local government units, that have contributed to improve the quality of education in the Province of Albay.
The following were the finalists and winners from the other four categories:
Student Excellence in Academic and Leadership (SEAL)–
- John Nehemiah S. Lopez, Ligao National High School (Winner)
- Julynna Victoria S. Belleza, Ligao National High School (Finalist)
- Acee P. Prianes, Ligao National High School (Finalist)
Ten Outstanding Teachers of Albay (TOTAL) Secondary Level–
- Saturnino L. Macasinag, Jr., Ligao National High School (Winner)
- Ryan T. Casulang, Ligao National High School (Winner)
- Vilma P. Nidua, Ligao National High School (Winner)
- Jaime B. Perdigon, Jr., Ligao National High School (Finalist)
- Ester L. Maligaya, Bicol Regional Science High School (Finalist)
Three Outstanding Principals in the Countryside of Albay (TROPICAL)–
- Joan B. Quipid, Batang Elementary School (Winner)
Barangay Kasangga sa Edukasyon (BAKAS)-
- Barangay Paulba, PB Jona I. Penalosa (Finalist)
- Barangay Guilid, PB Jose P. Romano (Finalist)
The awardees received cash, certificates, trophies, plaques, and medals.
The 2015 Gawad Albay Sa Edukasyon Awards was sponsored by the Province of Albay, Equal, Albay Rising, Department of Education, Bicol University, Technical Education and Skills Development, Department of Interior and Local Government, JCI Legazpi, and Philippine Geothermal.